Monday, June 19, 2006

Crochet Softie - Forest Fairy


Early this morning, as I sipped a cup of coffee and opened the back door to let out my dog, I was startled by a movement in the ivy around our old maple tree. I crossed the patio in my bare feet to get a closer look, and what do you think I saw?

A forest fairy from the temperate rainforest of Olympic National Park! My bright scarlet poppies had caught her eye and she had buzzed down for a quick peek on her way home. I managed to get a few photos of her before she winged on her way in the chilly morning air, but she wouldn't tell me her name. What do you think it could be?

(The fairy is based on the pattern of the sprite at http://www.crochetme.com/sprite but I crocheted the mossy green skirt right on to the doll. The net wings were from a butterfly ornament that I took apart, painted with acrylic and glitter glue and sewed to her back. The antennae are from the same butterfly ornament. The greenery is from a silk wildflower spray from Joann's.)

No comments: