Thursday, October 05, 2006

Gram's Paintings

When I was at my grandmother's house last week, I took photos of her paintings she has up in the house.
She started oil painting when her two kids had gotten older and had gone off to school and college, and Grandpa was off all day at the factory. Gram said that her sister nagged her into trying it, and then she got hooked. She stopped painting when Grandpa retired, because "the oil paint takes so long to dry, and he was always getting into the wet paintings."
She painted many, many other paintings that are probably not recorded anywhere, for her daughter (my Mom), son, sister, the cottage in the U.P. She said she's not interested in painting anymore, but when I was sitting at the table doing a paint-by-number Thomas Kinkade with my niece, she was VERY interested...

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

So now we see where you get it from...

Nancy Bea Miller said...

Oooh, she really has talent. Excellent design sense. Yes, now we know where you get it from!