Friday, December 01, 2006

Christmas Ornaments and Memories

I always enjoy the light of the Christmas tree so much each year. It has a magical feeling, as I first felt as a little girl when I would lay down flat on my back under our tree and look up through the branches at the lights (and end up with prickly needles in my hair). Our tree is not color-coordinated with our new living room: it is an amalgam of years of collecting ornaments from special times (our first Christmas in Guam, a little wooden Japanese horse from a deployment to Japan, the little glass ferry ornament that represents the anniversary that I "kidnapped" hubby to San Juan Island for the weekend), plus handmade crafty ornaments made by my Gramma, and fragile pipecleaner-and-paper ornaments wrought by our sons years ago.
The above ornament was the first we ever had as a married couple. I was working at a Hallmark shop in Pensacola, while hubby went to flight school. I had learned the hard way that Navy wives were not a hot commodity in the Pensacola graphic design job market, and I took a job at the mall for something to do. We hang this ornament, together, in the place of honor at the top of the tree each year.

5 comments:

Geninne said...

Hello Momma pajama :-)
How wonderful to have a tree full of incredible memories, beautiful!
Thank you so much for your beautiful comments. How great that you homeschool your boys! I've been so blessed to have the privilege to be able to do it, and I love spending time with them. My boys are 9 and 10. I'm using the School of Tomorrow (ACE) curriculum and it's been great :-)
I was born in New York, but I've lived in Mexico for almost 20 years now.
I saw the birdies you made in watercolor and let me tell you: they are GORGEOUS...you WILL fall head over heels over that medium, I know I am...I'm looking foreward to seeing more of your beautiful art.
God bless U.
Geninne

Anonymous said...

So many memories... thanks for sharing!

Kim Carney said...

I cry every year I hang our ornaments. Your memories of each is special. ... and you have been tagged for a 5 Christmas Song meme ;)

Anastasia said...

so sweet!! I love things that just take you back and appreciate what you have in your life!! Lovely memories.

laura capello said...

it's the trees with memories that are the best. not the ones custom-made to match the decor.