Saturday, December 02, 2006

Christmas Song Meme

My blogger friend, Kim, tagged me for a Christmas Song meme. A "meme" is a game where you answer a set of questions about yourself and then tag other blog friends to do the same. Here are my five favorite Christmas songs, and why.

1. Burl Ives - "Silver and Gold"
I love Burl Ives' rich, deep voice and watching "Rudolph the Red Nosed Reindeer" was a crucial part of my childhood Christmas tradition (although the Abominable Snowman almost made me pee my pjs EVERY year).

2. Peter Tchaikovsky - "Sugar Plum Fairy" from The Nutcracker
I took ballet lessons from third to ninth grade (when I had a five-inches-in-one-year growth spurt and became the world's tallest ballerina) and I LOVED The Nutcracker ballet. I will never forget the year my mom took me to see it in Sarasota's Van Wezel auditorium (known locally as "The Purple Cow"). It was amazing! I remember there was a famous ballerina performing Clara that year... I don't remember her name. Russian, I think. My sister and I had a record player and we would play our 33 RPM ballet album (The Nutcracker on one side, Swan Lake on the other) over and over and over and over and over...

3. The Carpenters - "Christmas Waltz"
My hubby started to sing our boys to sleep with this song one year, when they were five and two. Somehow it stuck as a lullabye even after Christmas, and was our official lullabye for years, year-round. It is still occasionally requested.

4. Dogs singing "Jingle Bells"
I don't know who put this together, but it is on a CD that we had in our Jeep for years. The boys would ask to turn the CD on, and then would ask for "Number 5" over and over and over and over... It goes like this: "Arf, arf, arf...arf, arf, arf...arf, ARF, arf, arf, arf!"

5. African-American Spiritual - "Go, Tell It On The Mountain"
I like this one because you can bellow it! Sing loud! Without restraint!

What are your five favorite Christmas songs? I tag Geninne, Nancy Bea, and Laura!

2 comments:

laura capello said...

oooo... good meme. i'm working on it!

Nancy Bea Miller said...

What fun! Thanks for tagging me. I am going to have to think about this one a bit, so please be patient! There are so many that are my faves...for all different reasons.